Skip to main content

Two Words: I Do ♥

"Kapag may kinakasal akong mga bata, kinakabahan talaga ako. Marriage is for adults. It is an eternal sacrament. It is not something you play with." These are the opening statements of Fr. Benedict Lagarde during his homily this afternoon. He further said that marriage mirrors the love of Christ for the Church (free, full, faithful, fruitful), therefore it must not be taken too lightly


I really love the homilies of Fr. Benedict because he explains the readings in a practical perspective, he relates the readings to the Gospel, and he never fails to make his audience laugh. This afternoon, I laughed so hard with his stories and how he delivered them, but towards the end of his homily, and even until now, I find myself thinking of everything he said. In one of my conversations with God this week, I asked Him, "Is this how You are preparing me, Lord? Do You really intend for me to experience and feel THIS just to give me an idea on how things will be in the future?" I didn't hear an answer from Him but I saw Him smiled as if telling me, "Just go on, My child. Just trust Me. Later you will understand, but know that I am with you in this."

Listening to Fr. Benedict, I was affirmed that indeed, this is God's way of preparing me and giving me a glimpse of what to expect should I pursue that vocation. The big message for me today is this: When looking for a lifetime partner (if you have discerned that marriage is indeed your vocation), choose among your friends. Fr. Benedict said it clearly, "Never marry a complete stranger, unless you want to put yourself in big trouble." Yes, love should be the foundation for marriage, but for it to last, friendship is the key. 

Marry your friend - someone you know so very well, someone who knows you even more; someone imperfect, yet complements you; someone who accepts you for all there is in you, and someone you can accept despite his/her many flaws. 


In the book of Sirach (you see, there's really a lot of wisdom from the Old Testament, and the Bible will never be complete without it), there is a beautiful chapter about friendship, and it happened to be the First Reading today. :)

Sirach 6:5-17. Friendship
A pleasant voice multiplies friends,
    and a gracious tongue multiplies courtesies.
Let those that are at peace with you be many,
    but let your advisers be one in a thousand.
When you gain a friend, gain him through testing,
    and do not trust him hastily.
For there is a friend who is such at his own convenience,
    but will not stand by you in your day of trouble.
And there is a friend who changes into an enemy,
    and will disclose a quarrel to your disgrace.
And there is a friend who is a table companion,
    but will not stand by you in your day of trouble.
In your prosperity he will make himself your equal,
    and be bold with your servants;
but if you are brought low he will turn against you,
    and will hide himself from your presence.
Keep yourself far from your enemies,
    and be on guard toward your friends.
A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter:
    he that has found one has found a treasure.
There is nothing so precious as a faithful friend,
    and no scales can measure his excellence.
A faithful friend is an elixir of life;
    and those who fear the Lord will find him.
Whoever fears the Lord directs his friendship aright,
    for as he is, so is his neighbor also.

I am talking about marriage because Jesus firmly stated in today's Gospel (Mark 10:1-12): "What God has joined together, no human being must separate." This is the reason why Fr. Benedict insisted that friendship must exist before marriage (putting emphasis on the correlation of the Gospel and the First Reading). Because, as he said, the greatest problem of married couples stems from the lack of knowledge about each other. By the time they realize the ugliest truths (the realities they cannot live with) about their partners, it is already too late; they have already vowed before God and men that they will stay together until death. Therefore, the "I do." should come only after the "Ganun pala siya." Because the moment you say "I do" it's as good as saying "I will accept and love everything about you, the best and even the worst in you that I have yet to find out." I just thought of this: the usual grounds for separation is "irreconcilable differences" but come to think of it, there should  never be "irreconcilable differences" if the couple had taken the time to befriend each other before deciding to marry. Friendship is indeed the key. :) Even Nietzsche and Faust acknowledge this reality.



It's just amazing how God has spoken to me this week. He really knows what I need when I need it. He knew I had questions. He did not give me direct answers, He led me to discover things myself. Fr. Benedict said, when troubled couples (read: people) come to you, let the world stop. And remind yourself that they don't need solutions from you, they just need you to listen. When we come to God, more often than not, we just tell Him our hurts, our questions, our wants, our needs, our desires, our problems - everything that our hearts can no longer contain - we just need Him to listen. The same is true for Him. When He answers, He won't give us instant, direct solutions because He wants us to listen and hear the answers from within. :)

While typing this and thinking about this whole marriage thing (wait, let me just clarify that I'm not getting married yet nor am I engaged, but a lot of my friends are and this post is actually inspired by them and dedicated to them), Bonnie Bailey's Ever After is playing on my head. And I came to realize, marriage is really about these two words: 
Ever After. 
I Do. 
Friends Forever. 

Thus, the proper greeting for newlyweds should not be "best wishes" but "May your marriage last." :)

*****

Thank You, God for allowing me to experience and feel all these. I know You are just preparing me. I'm afraid I'll never be ready, but I trust that Your time will always be right, Your plan will always be grander than mine, because You love me that much and You know best. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Lupang Hinirang

Every Filipino knows Lupang Hinirang (though some know it better as " Bayang Magiliw "). How can you not know it when it is the national anthem of the Philippines? But do we really mean the lyrics that we sing? Do we understand it in the first place?  Photo Credit:  http://diazi.ism-online.org This video has gone viral weeks ago. This afternoon, I shared it to my teammates, and one commented, "Yun pala yun . Ngayon ko lang naintindihan."   He immediately downloaded it and converted to MP3.   So for those who have not seen it, once again, here is Joey Ayala's version of Lupang Hinirang. And I agree, you would never want to sing it in another way. (But that's just me. :D) This rendition is simply beautiful. Truly Filipino. :) Of course that doesn't mean we need to revise our national anthem but maybe we can consider about correcting the way we sing it (read: proper pronunciation). Read more about the Philippine National Anthem here .

Jesus Week 2015: A Time To HEAL ♥

I had the best, most meaningful HOLY WEEK ever, so far (the best is yet to come!). :) Thanks to Joy who shared the Jesus Week poster on Facebook. It was God's personal invitation, and I couldn't thank Him enough for the grace that He also gave me to respond. Everything is grace. It was not just my personal decision to join. It was God's grace that allowed me to.  So how did it go? Well, as what I have told my friends, it was amazingly beautiful! The experience was priceless! On Holy Monday, I posted Fr. Jerry Orbos' acronym for HOLY WEEK . I experienced all of that and more! :)  I won't be able to share everything as there is just a lot of personal, intimate encounters with the Lord. But if I were to summarize, it was a time for me to HEAL. :)  H alt . Indeed, I was able to stop and just rest in the Lord. Before leaving Manila, I have already told myself that this retreat will be all about Jesus ( Jesus Week nga e :D ). No emails, no texts, no calls. I

Thank You, Lord! :)

It has been a long and stressful day (the past three days have been lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and stressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssful), but You are just so amazing, Lord that I couldn't sleep without telling You how grateful I am. :) Thank You, Lord for the miracle that You did yesterday. Break even and more. :) Thank You, Lord for the laughter and stories shared during the post-mission meeting with Team Thailand. :) Team Thailand - Princesses from SFC Metro Manila :) Thank You, Lord for Lawrence. He is just the (almost) perfect man. He has his flaws, but they are acceptable; he makes mistakes, but they are all forgivable. There are a lot of men but there can never be anyone else. He's really the one. And You know it very well. :) ♥ Nemo. Love. ♥ Thank You, Lord for giving me strength and endurance each day. :) Thank You, Lord for the short but restful sleeps. :) Thank You, Lord for every waking moment and every opportunity that You give

The Holy Spirit*

*Cluster 4 Household Topic Reflections from John 15:26-16:4 True friendship is strengthened in adversity. Jesus offers His disciples the best and truest of friends. Who is this promised friend?  Jesus calls the Holy Spirit our Counselor and Advocate (also translated Paraclete or Helper). Counselor is a legal term for the one who will defend someone against an adversary and who guides that person during the ordeal of trial. The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Helper who brings us safely through the challenges and adversities we must face in this life. As Jesus approaches the hour that He was to be glorified - through His death on the cross and His resurrection - He revealed more fully to His disciples the person and the role of the Holy Spirit. What does Jesus tell us about the Holy Spirit?  First, the Holy Spirit is inseparably one with the Father and the Son. It is the Holy Spirit who gives life - the very life of God - and who kindles faith in hearts receptive

Interesting Facts Courtesy of Celebrity Bluff :)

I was writing a different post, but Celebrity Bluff  is just so fun and informative, I had to stop from blogging to list down the fun facts that I learn from each round. :)  Thought it would be nice to share them here as well. For future reference. :D  Q: In 2012, what kind of animal was named after Beyonce? A: Horse Fly Q: What rare job in China will pay you US$50,000 a year?  A: Fart Smeller Q: What alcoholic drink literally means "water of life"? A: Whisky   Q: In which part of the body can you find the tragus? A: Ear Q: According to Merriam-Webster, what is the female equivalent of dude? A: Dudine Q: What is longer in the male turtles than in the females?  A: Nails And the final question is... Q:  According to Box Office Mojo   what are the top four (4) movies of 2013 according to global profit? A: (1) Iron Man 3, (2) Despicable Me 2, (3) Fast and the Furious 6 (4) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire That's all