“I put this charge before you, Timothy my child, in keeping with the prophecies once spoken about you, in order that with such encouragement you may fight the good fight.” 1 Timothy 1:18
We can learn a lot from these wise words given to Timothy by his mentor Paul. In a talk delivered by Tito Chito Cubacub to the leaders of Singles for Christ East A, he shared some practical applications of Paul's counsel to our roles as leaders.
- Paul entrust this charge to Timothy with the prophetic words. In 1 Timothy 4:14, Paul further said, “Do not neglect your gift, which was given to you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.”
- Timothy is tasked to to preach and teach with confidence. In order to do so, he must be a good example and witness to his office.
- Timothy must also persevere in growing in Christian character and be a model disciple.
As leaders who fight the good fight of faith, there are four (4) things that we must be in order to succeed in our fulfilling the work entrusted to us:
1. Be brave and aggressive.
- Be direct.
- Grab all opportunities.
- Use varying methods of attack (if you want a different result, do things differently).
- Be versatile and agile.
- Attack one target at a time.
- Don't plan everything in detail (be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit).
- Use top quality weapons (prayer remains to be the most effective)
Mother Teresa said, "We ourselves sometimes feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But if we do not do what we are doing, the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."
2. Be prepared.
- Keep weapons in good condition.
- Keep in shape.
- Find good battle comrades
- Agree on important points
- Choose one chief.
According to Miguel Cervantes Saavedra, "To be prepared is half the victory." An English proverb supports this claim: "He who fails to prepare, prepares to fail."
3. Be a good merchant.
- Find out what the market needs.
- Don't promise what you can't keep.
- Don't demand overpayment.
4. Be able to keep the camp in order.
- Keep things tidy and organized.
- Arrange enjoyable activities which strengthen the group.
- Make sure everybody does useful work (and their talents are nurtured)
- Consult all members of the group before making decisions.
Our mandate for mission is the apostolic sending of Jesus: "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." (John 20:21)
Our challenge to be a good witness is the exhortation of Paul to his followers: "Imitate me as I imitate Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)
Our command to faithfulness is Paul's charge to Timothy: "Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called." (1 Timothy 6:12)
|Photo Credit: The Sanctuary|