Skip to main content

When You're Tired and Lonely :)

13 May 2015
1:45 AM

Today, I officially finished cleaning the apartment unit. Hooray! :) 

I guess that's what loneliness can do to a person: to never stop until she's done. 

Wait, what did I just say? Am I really lonely? How is that possible?! Me? The strong, independent, Aiza? I may be alone, but I'll never be lonely. Right? Wrong. :) 

Fr. Benedict, in his homily yesterday explained it beautifully (and for the nth time, I felt that his homily was intended just for me :D I just so love him. He truly is a "father" to me.). According to him, it is stupid (yeah, that's the word he used :D) to say that people are alone but not lonely. He said that may be true at times, but not all the time. We would all come to a point of loneliness, whether we admit it or not. 

As for me, I must admit that I am terribly sad (lonely) right now. I so miss my parents and my brother. I would cry at times, just like at this time (because most of the time I resist the feeling of crying) having realized that I am actually alone and this is actually sort of an empty apartment. Yes, I was in Iloilo for almost a week because of the KFC IKV. But when I got back, it became harder for me not to miss them. Especially during these most critical days of my life. You know, that thing called "work." :) I just try to comfort myself by singing, "you'll get by, with a smile..."

I am tired already. Sabi nga ni Fr. Benedict, "Philippine Islands!" God, I really thank You for Fr. Benedict. He just says the right words at the right time. It's as if he knows everything that I am going through even without me telling him. Siguro napagdugtong-dugtong na lang niya lahat ng confessions ko. Haha. 

Anyway, as he further said, "the way we behave ourselves during our greatest difficulties is our witness before the world." Someone asked me if I have any prayer intention because he's attending a Taize prayer celebration. I replied, "Grace to live each day reflecting God's love." Or simply "grace under pressure." I really can't make it on my own. That's why I pray daily not just to the Father and the Son, but also to the Holy Spirit, that He would always grant me my much-needed grace. 

So what's the connection of my being lonely and tired to my cleaning the apartment? Well, I already resorted to cooking before. But this time, I don't have anything to cook and I haven't cleaned the apartment yet since I arrived, actually, even before Arnold left. Well, I "clean" in the sense that I sweep the floor every now and then, but not the "general cleaning" that Mama and I would normally do. Future husband, I'm actually thinking of you while writing this, you might want to know more about me. :) I am really close to my parents. And what I learned about life and love mostly came from them. No, not the "Waterboy" type, but they taught me practical tips on how to survive. I guess they have prepared me well enough to live independently. They probably knew that I would actually come to that point. Living alone.

Among the things that Mama and I love to do together are cooking, gardening, doing the laundry, and cleaning the house/apartment. And that "don't settle for less" principle, I first learned from her. :) Mama would never stop until everything is totally clean - shining, shimmering, splendid kind of "clean." And that is not an exaggeration. Mama does everything with passion that's why she delivers excellent results. And so, as my way of thanking and honoring her especially on Mother's Day, I did what she and I used to do together: general cleaning of the apartment from the ceiling to the windows to the floor to the doors to cabinets, beds, toilet, kitchen, everything! I started last Saturday (May 9). Instead of going with the KES Cornerstone Volunteers for the team fellowship, I spent my time tidying the apartment beginning with my personal space - the loft. The heavy rains and the power interruption did not stop me from doing what I was supposed to do. 

On Sunday morning, I began to clean up Arnold's space. I had to stop at noon because I need to prepare for my CLP talk in Taytay. After the talk, I heard mass at Our Lady of Light Parish in Cainta, and had dinner at Jollibee Karangalan. That's the saddest part. I went to Jollibee because it is my happy place. I ordered my favorite Burger Steak meal with Buttered Corn, Iced Tea, and Strawberry Sundae. I thought I would be happy especially after sending my personal honoring to all the mothers I look up to. But seeing all those families eating together, laughing together, celebrating Mother's Day together, I felt so lonely. I called up my brother, and I silently cried. I called up Mama and all the more that I cried (in silence). She said she misses eating at Jollibee and that she wants to try the Ultimate Burger Steak. I wish I could fly there instantly and bring her to the nearest Jollibee and let her eat her favorite pansit palabok and let her try the Ultimate Burger Steak. But all I could say was, "hayaan mo, Ma, pag-uwi ni Arnold diyan, kakain kayo sa Jollibee." Arnold is just in Boracay so it's easier for him to go to Iloilo. He'll go home for our parents' anniversary on May 31. 

Thank God I was able to somehow control my emotions. I didn't want to break down in the midst of happy families celebrating that special day for mothers. And so I went home and instead of crying inconsolably (I realized, there's no one to console me anyway, so it would just be useless), I continued cleaning up the apartment. Swept and mopped the floor, cleaned up the kitchen, organized the cabinets, washed the door mats, and ensured that everything is in order. I was so passionate about getting the apartment cleaned that by the time I finished, it was already 5:30 AM. Seriously. That long. And I haven't done the laundry yet, nor have I cleaned the bathroom completely. But I needed to rest. I woke up at 9 AM that same day, did the laundry and prepared to go to work. On Monday evening, I ironed my clothes and organized my closet.

Last night, I did the other half of the laundry (mga basahan na ginamit sa paglilinis) and cleaned up the bathroom. And I ended up today at 1:45 AM. :) What Mama and I would do in 1-2 days, I did in 4 days! But man, I felt really fulfilled afterwards. :) 

Nothing beats the satisfaction that I got after seeing the fruits of my labor. Pwede na akong magpa-bedspace. Who's interested? Haha. Arnold actually suggested that before he left. But I thought it would only add up to my already stressful life, so I didn't bother to look for a "boardmate." And while I really miss the whole family, I still feel at peace everytime I climb up the loft, stare at my altar while praying, and finally lie on my bed.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph never fail to assure me that they accompany me in this journey. I find comfort in the words that God tells me every moment of my life: "I am with you." Every day, whether I'm happy, sad, energized, or tired, the Lord serenades me with this love song:

Do not let your heart be troubled
Do not stay afraid
It is really I whom you see
I offer you now My peace

I have waited for this moment
To be with you again
In My heart you'll remain
In your heart I'll stay

I am with you till the end of your days
I am in you, have faith that I hold you
even when you let go
And I love you, you must know
I am here, I am ever with you

Do not let your heart be troubled
Do not stay afraid
I'm beyond all anguish, all death
I'm risen to life anew

When you feel that you've been emptied
And can give no more
Know that I am your breath
And I fill your soul

I am with you till the end of your days
I am in you, have faith that I hold you
even when you let go
And I love you, you must know
I am here, I am ever with you

I manage to survive each day because my God has never abandoned me - even during those times when I felt most tired, even on those days when I am loneliest - He is ever with me. ♥

"You are not alone. I am your mother." - Mama Mary 
When I'm tired and lonely, I read, I write, I sing, I pray. :)
Thank You, God, my Loving Father. 
Thank You, Jesus, my Savior and Redeemer. 
Thank You, Holy Spirit, my Companion and Helper. 
Thank You, Mama Mary, my ever-dependable Mother. 
Thank You, St. Joseph, my Prayer Partner. ♥

And thank you, Mama! You know how much I love you and how much I thank the Lord for you. I know I am loved by the Lord because you are my mother, because we are a family. :)

I will still get tired and lonely, but I will continue to move forward with hope, joy, and peace, because I have God, I have a family, I have a community, I am blessed, I am loved... and that's more than enough. ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Lupang Hinirang

Every Filipino knows Lupang Hinirang (though some know it better as " Bayang Magiliw "). How can you not know it when it is the national anthem of the Philippines? But do we really mean the lyrics that we sing? Do we understand it in the first place?  Photo Credit:  http://diazi.ism-online.org This video has gone viral weeks ago. This afternoon, I shared it to my teammates, and one commented, "Yun pala yun . Ngayon ko lang naintindihan."   He immediately downloaded it and converted to MP3.   So for those who have not seen it, once again, here is Joey Ayala's version of Lupang Hinirang. And I agree, you would never want to sing it in another way. (But that's just me. :D) This rendition is simply beautiful. Truly Filipino. :) Of course that doesn't mean we need to revise our national anthem but maybe we can consider about correcting the way we sing it (read: proper pronunciation). Read more about the Philippine National Anthem here .

Jesus Week 2015: A Time To HEAL ♥

I had the best, most meaningful HOLY WEEK ever, so far (the best is yet to come!). :) Thanks to Joy who shared the Jesus Week poster on Facebook. It was God's personal invitation, and I couldn't thank Him enough for the grace that He also gave me to respond. Everything is grace. It was not just my personal decision to join. It was God's grace that allowed me to.  So how did it go? Well, as what I have told my friends, it was amazingly beautiful! The experience was priceless! On Holy Monday, I posted Fr. Jerry Orbos' acronym for HOLY WEEK . I experienced all of that and more! :)  I won't be able to share everything as there is just a lot of personal, intimate encounters with the Lord. But if I were to summarize, it was a time for me to HEAL. :)  H alt . Indeed, I was able to stop and just rest in the Lord. Before leaving Manila, I have already told myself that this retreat will be all about Jesus ( Jesus Week nga e :D ). No emails, no texts, no calls. I

Thank You, Lord! :)

It has been a long and stressful day (the past three days have been lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and stressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssful), but You are just so amazing, Lord that I couldn't sleep without telling You how grateful I am. :) Thank You, Lord for the miracle that You did yesterday. Break even and more. :) Thank You, Lord for the laughter and stories shared during the post-mission meeting with Team Thailand. :) Team Thailand - Princesses from SFC Metro Manila :) Thank You, Lord for Lawrence. He is just the (almost) perfect man. He has his flaws, but they are acceptable; he makes mistakes, but they are all forgivable. There are a lot of men but there can never be anyone else. He's really the one. And You know it very well. :) ♥ Nemo. Love. ♥ Thank You, Lord for giving me strength and endurance each day. :) Thank You, Lord for the short but restful sleeps. :) Thank You, Lord for every waking moment and every opportunity that You give

The Holy Spirit*

*Cluster 4 Household Topic Reflections from John 15:26-16:4 True friendship is strengthened in adversity. Jesus offers His disciples the best and truest of friends. Who is this promised friend?  Jesus calls the Holy Spirit our Counselor and Advocate (also translated Paraclete or Helper). Counselor is a legal term for the one who will defend someone against an adversary and who guides that person during the ordeal of trial. The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Helper who brings us safely through the challenges and adversities we must face in this life. As Jesus approaches the hour that He was to be glorified - through His death on the cross and His resurrection - He revealed more fully to His disciples the person and the role of the Holy Spirit. What does Jesus tell us about the Holy Spirit?  First, the Holy Spirit is inseparably one with the Father and the Son. It is the Holy Spirit who gives life - the very life of God - and who kindles faith in hearts receptive

Interesting Facts Courtesy of Celebrity Bluff :)

I was writing a different post, but Celebrity Bluff  is just so fun and informative, I had to stop from blogging to list down the fun facts that I learn from each round. :)  Thought it would be nice to share them here as well. For future reference. :D  Q: In 2012, what kind of animal was named after Beyonce? A: Horse Fly Q: What rare job in China will pay you US$50,000 a year?  A: Fart Smeller Q: What alcoholic drink literally means "water of life"? A: Whisky   Q: In which part of the body can you find the tragus? A: Ear Q: According to Merriam-Webster, what is the female equivalent of dude? A: Dudine Q: What is longer in the male turtles than in the females?  A: Nails And the final question is... Q:  According to Box Office Mojo   what are the top four (4) movies of 2013 according to global profit? A: (1) Iron Man 3, (2) Despicable Me 2, (3) Fast and the Furious 6 (4) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire That's all