- We live in a physical world. We are facing worldly lures. The good news is, we can be rich without losing our souls.
- God wants to protect us from financial bondage.
- Financial bondage - being held captive or obsessed not only from the lack of money or overspending but also from an abundance of money or misunderstanding of why God has given us so much
- Everything belongs to the Lord. We possess, but God owns. God owns, we manage.
- It is God who enables us to acquire wealth.
- Why talk about money?
- God uses money to teach us to TRUST Him and to TEST and DEVELOP our character.
- Proverbs 3:9. "Honor the Lord with your wealth." Wealth is not exclusively for your benefit. Know how to use your possession to serve God.
- Malachi 3:10. "I will pour out on you in abundance all kinds of good things."
- Purpose of tithing:
- Financial support for the church
- Economic support for the ministry or those who are called to full-time evangelical service
- Means of WORSHIP
- Debt = death
10 Tips for a Debt-free Lifestyle
- We are only stewards of everything we have. God owns, we manage.
- Blessings are measured in different units, different standards. So don't compare your blessings with others.
- List the things that you NEED. Make that your priority.
- BUY based on NEEDS and not WANTS.
- Know your expenses.
- Beware of unexpected purchases.
3. Cut credit card
- LOANS = (can be) LASON, so beware!
- Borrow only to buy real estate (properties that don't depreciate).
- Simplify your lifestyle.
- Accumulate more and desire less.
4. Debt pay off
- Know the difference between good debt and bad debt
5a. Envelopes of cash
- Separate your money in tangible envelopes for easy tracking of expenses
5b. Educate yourself
- Raise your Financial IQ
- Invest in yourself; join seminars and lectures
- Find a financial coach or partner
- Parable of 3 servants. "He gave each one according to his ability." God will not give you something that you cannot handle.
6. Family Planning
- No. 1 cause of divorce: financial problems
- Be guided by 1 Timothy 5:8
7. Grateful not Greedy
- Have an attitude of gratitude
- Gratefulness leaders to generosity
- Count your blessings!
- "So blessed I can't contain it, so much I've got to give it away."
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10-11
- Avoid "get rich quick" schemes
- Increase your sources of funds. Create sources of passive income.
- You should NOT invest before you develop the habit of saving!
- 10% tithes, 20% savings (use separate bank account for savings), 70% expenses
- Expenses = Income - Tithe - Savings