Skip to main content

I Saw The Sign :)

I am writing this post while singing this song from Ace of Base. :D


It is in no way related to what I am going to share. I just remember dancing to it when I was younger. :) You've got a 90's kid here! :D

On to my sharing. :) 

In today's Gospel reading, the people are asking Jesus for a sign that they may believe. 
"Show us miraculous signs, that we may see and believe you. What sign do you perform? Our ancestors ate manna in the desert; as Scripture says: They were given bread from heaven to eat."
Jesus then said to them, "Truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven. My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. The bread God gives is the One who comes from heaven and gives life to the world. And they said to him, "Give us this bread."
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall never be hungry, and whoever believes in me shall never be thirsty." (John 6:30-35)
I am guilty of asking for signs, too. In fact, I have made two major decisions in my life (which I regretted later on) just because I was too naive to believe the "signs." Allow me to share briefly (I'm just not sure how brief it would be. :D).

  • Lovelife: During my first year in college, I have come to believe that whoever I see wearing a red shirt with white sleeves after I have counted 100 Volkswagen colored red and white is the person I am going to marry. Silly, I know. Guess what? On the day that I counted the 100th Volks, a persistent suitor since high school came over to our house and he was wearing (I can still vividly remember) a red Gap shirt with white sleeves. The first thing I did when I saw him? I asked, "bakit 'yan ang suot mo?" (Why are you wearing that?!) He eventually became my first boyfriend. But after three years of being in an exclusive relationship with each other, we broke up. He now has a son, I'm not just sure if he's already married. And I am still unmarried. :)
  • Career/education: Writing has always been my first love. When I filled out my UPCAT application form, I wrote BA Communication Research and BA Literature as my first and second choices. However, when I learned that I was also qualified for a DOST scholarship, I felt I had no other choice but to just take a science and technology course. I ended up taking BS Computer Science. I struggled a lot and failed a lot. I came to the point of wanting to transfer from Engg to Mass Comm but the "sign" I held on to that time was a passing grade in a major subject. I would always tell myself, "if I pass this subject (kahit 3.0 lang) then I will stay." I was not happy at all. And if given the chance to study again, I am definitely going to take the course I am passionate about. 
Photo Credit: ThisIsAGoodSign.com

In his homily, Fr. Benedict said, "signs impose their meaning on us." Saussure made a similar statement: "nothing is a sign unless it is interpreted as a sign."

Here is also a beautiful quote from Diane Schoemperlen, author of Our Lady of the Lost and Found: A Novel of Mary, Faith, and Friendship:“I remind myself that not everything is a sign, that some things simply are what they appear to be and should not be analyzed, deconstructed, or forced to bear the burden of metaphor, symbol, omen, or portent.” 

What then do we need for us to believe? 

Fr. Benedict shared his reflections during their recently-concluded retreat: "What sustains us in our mission is the unmistakable sign of God's deep love for us. Mahal kasi tayo ng Diyos. Period."

As Todd Burpo have come to realize, only faith can open our eyes. Faith in God's unconditional, unending, unchanging love for us; faith in God's plan to prosper and not to harm us; faith in God's perfect timing. :) 

I cannot end this post better than how Charles H. Spurgeon put it: “Is not the gospel its own sign and wonder? Is not this a miracle of miracles, that 'God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish'? Surely that precious word, 'Whosoever will, let him come and take the water of life freely' and that solemn promise, 'Him that cometh unto Me, I will in no wise cast out,' are better than signs and wonders! A truthful Saviour ought to be believed. He is truth itself. Why will you ask proof of the veracity of One who cannot lie?”

I have seen the unmistakable sign of God's deep love for me. It's the thing that keeps me going. And it's enough for me to believe. :) 

I always love saying this: Mahal ako ng Diyos. Hindi Niya ako pababayaan... kailanman. ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Lupang Hinirang

Every Filipino knows Lupang Hinirang (though some know it better as " Bayang Magiliw "). How can you not know it when it is the national anthem of the Philippines? But do we really mean the lyrics that we sing? Do we understand it in the first place?  Photo Credit:  http://diazi.ism-online.org This video has gone viral weeks ago. This afternoon, I shared it to my teammates, and one commented, "Yun pala yun . Ngayon ko lang naintindihan."   He immediately downloaded it and converted to MP3.   So for those who have not seen it, once again, here is Joey Ayala's version of Lupang Hinirang. And I agree, you would never want to sing it in another way. (But that's just me. :D) This rendition is simply beautiful. Truly Filipino. :) Of course that doesn't mean we need to revise our national anthem but maybe we can consider about correcting the way we sing it (read: proper pronunciation). Read more about the Philippine National Anthem here .

Jesus Week 2015: A Time To HEAL ♥

I had the best, most meaningful HOLY WEEK ever, so far (the best is yet to come!). :) Thanks to Joy who shared the Jesus Week poster on Facebook. It was God's personal invitation, and I couldn't thank Him enough for the grace that He also gave me to respond. Everything is grace. It was not just my personal decision to join. It was God's grace that allowed me to.  So how did it go? Well, as what I have told my friends, it was amazingly beautiful! The experience was priceless! On Holy Monday, I posted Fr. Jerry Orbos' acronym for HOLY WEEK . I experienced all of that and more! :)  I won't be able to share everything as there is just a lot of personal, intimate encounters with the Lord. But if I were to summarize, it was a time for me to HEAL. :)  H alt . Indeed, I was able to stop and just rest in the Lord. Before leaving Manila, I have already told myself that this retreat will be all about Jesus ( Jesus Week nga e :D ). No emails, no texts, no calls. I

Thank You, Lord! :)

It has been a long and stressful day (the past three days have been lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and stressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssful), but You are just so amazing, Lord that I couldn't sleep without telling You how grateful I am. :) Thank You, Lord for the miracle that You did yesterday. Break even and more. :) Thank You, Lord for the laughter and stories shared during the post-mission meeting with Team Thailand. :) Team Thailand - Princesses from SFC Metro Manila :) Thank You, Lord for Lawrence. He is just the (almost) perfect man. He has his flaws, but they are acceptable; he makes mistakes, but they are all forgivable. There are a lot of men but there can never be anyone else. He's really the one. And You know it very well. :) ♥ Nemo. Love. ♥ Thank You, Lord for giving me strength and endurance each day. :) Thank You, Lord for the short but restful sleeps. :) Thank You, Lord for every waking moment and every opportunity that You give

The Holy Spirit*

*Cluster 4 Household Topic Reflections from John 15:26-16:4 True friendship is strengthened in adversity. Jesus offers His disciples the best and truest of friends. Who is this promised friend?  Jesus calls the Holy Spirit our Counselor and Advocate (also translated Paraclete or Helper). Counselor is a legal term for the one who will defend someone against an adversary and who guides that person during the ordeal of trial. The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Helper who brings us safely through the challenges and adversities we must face in this life. As Jesus approaches the hour that He was to be glorified - through His death on the cross and His resurrection - He revealed more fully to His disciples the person and the role of the Holy Spirit. What does Jesus tell us about the Holy Spirit?  First, the Holy Spirit is inseparably one with the Father and the Son. It is the Holy Spirit who gives life - the very life of God - and who kindles faith in hearts receptive

Interesting Facts Courtesy of Celebrity Bluff :)

I was writing a different post, but Celebrity Bluff  is just so fun and informative, I had to stop from blogging to list down the fun facts that I learn from each round. :)  Thought it would be nice to share them here as well. For future reference. :D  Q: In 2012, what kind of animal was named after Beyonce? A: Horse Fly Q: What rare job in China will pay you US$50,000 a year?  A: Fart Smeller Q: What alcoholic drink literally means "water of life"? A: Whisky   Q: In which part of the body can you find the tragus? A: Ear Q: According to Merriam-Webster, what is the female equivalent of dude? A: Dudine Q: What is longer in the male turtles than in the females?  A: Nails And the final question is... Q:  According to Box Office Mojo   what are the top four (4) movies of 2013 according to global profit? A: (1) Iron Man 3, (2) Despicable Me 2, (3) Fast and the Furious 6 (4) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire That's all