Skip to main content

Of Weddings, Engagements, and Surprises

I missed you, dear blog! I'm sorry for not keeping you updated. "Busy" is an understatement. I'll try to make up for all my shortcomings. :)

Last week, I received an email from a sister in the community. It was a pleasant surprise, actually. She was asking for my details, as well as Lawrence's. According to her, a generous sponsor offered to shoulder our ICON expenses, including airfare. Unfortunately (or fortunately, because somebody else might need the sponsorship more than we do), we already have a booked flight. I told the sister that we (Lawrence and I) were able to avail of the promo flight to Cebu via Cebu Pacific, and from Tagbilaran via Zest Air. We will just take the ferry from Cebu to Tagbilaran. (Thank God for another generous brother who lends us his credit card and allows us to pay on installment basis.) I told Lawrence about the offer and he was just as amazed. We were thinking of names but we really couldn't pinpoint who that generous sponsor could be. Many thanks to him/her anyway. It was a great honor for us to be given such an offer. At the back of our minds, we were thinking of taking the offer and ask to be booked on an earlier date so that we could join the pre-ICON but we decided to just be happy about it and pray that the sponsorship goes to those who are more in need of it. :) As for us, we are confident that God will provide and He will bring us to where He wants us to be. If He wills for us to participate in the pre-ICON, then He will definitely make a way for us to be there. :)

That's the surprise part. And now the wedding part. :)

Yesterday, Shezha and I were exchanging text messages about our trip to Isabela for her wedding this Saturday (Oh yes, she's getting married! :) And we're all excited for her and her groom, Kuya Leo!). Then she asked about the unity candle. I have attended several weddings already but I haven't heard of the unity candle yet. And so I asked my mother, who gave an answer but advised to ask for a "second opinion" from Tita Yet (Lawrence's mom). Apparently, the unity candle is the "paschal candle" which I first saw at the wedding of Kuya John and Ate Leah. It's a tall, decorated candle (usually white) which is lit by the couple using the two altar candles previously lit during the wedding mass. To others it symbolizes Christ, who is supposed to be the light of the married couple, and the "third party" (which unites the couple) in their relationship; to some it symbolizes the unity of the two families (the bride's and the groom's) and their love for the newly-weds. It is also believed that the unity candle symbolizes the union of two individuals, becoming one in commitment.

And that's the story of the unity candle. :D Just when I thought I already knew everything about wedding ceremonies, here comes a new learning. Truly, there are still a lot of things that I need to learn and discover. :) 

As I tell Shezha about it, I couldn't help but smile at the thought of lighting our own unity candle in the future. :) Am I excited? :) What do you think? :D

Surprise - Done.
Wedding - Done.

Now let's talk about engagements. :)

Just this afternoon, my boss called me up and in a serious tone, said, "Aiza, may tanong lang ako. Ang engagement ring ba saan nilalagay?" ("Aiza, I have a question. Where do you put the engagement ring?") Funny, but it was a valid question. She said her daughter was asking and she isn't sure of the answer. And so I asked Ms. Chi, an expert make-up artist whose forte is bridal make-up. :) According to her, a lady wears it on the left ring finger (along with the wedding ring when she finally gets married). And that's another new learning for me. I thought the engagement ring is worn on the middle finger because the ring finger is supposed to be the slot for the wedding ring. (Wanna know why the fourth finger is the ring finger? :) Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbLJ9rHMMk) Well, I thought wrong, and I stand corrected. :)

Did you notice something? Yesterday I was asked about wedding, today about engagement, could it mean something? :) I can only smile... ^_______________________________________________^

(For the record, I've given away the book I used to read because I feel I no longer need it. The title of the book? Confessions of An Impatient Bride. :D)

P.S. I really like the Starbucks Planner. I actually love it. I know I have my BDJ already but having the Starbucks Planner is still among my wishes this Christmas. And so yesterday, when the CQTD boys got back from Starbucks, I asked one of them if they were given a card. Sir J said yes and asked if I am interested in the planner. Of course, I said yes. :D He gave me the card and it already has 5 stickers! :D Wohoo! Another CQTD member went to Starbucks and I asked her to use my card instead since she already has her planner. She agreed, and so, as of yesterday, I already have 6 stickers! :D What's even better is the current promo that Starbucks has in celebration of its 14th anniversary. From December 13-15, one can get the Starbucks planner for 14 stickers only! That means, I only need to collect 8! Friends, you know that I don't drink coffee, so please help me accomplish the 8 stickers until tomorrow. Please? :D Thank you in advance. :) Merry Christmas! ♥

(At ang haba lang ng P.S. :D)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Lupang Hinirang

Every Filipino knows Lupang Hinirang (though some know it better as " Bayang Magiliw "). How can you not know it when it is the national anthem of the Philippines? But do we really mean the lyrics that we sing? Do we understand it in the first place?  Photo Credit:  http://diazi.ism-online.org This video has gone viral weeks ago. This afternoon, I shared it to my teammates, and one commented, "Yun pala yun . Ngayon ko lang naintindihan."   He immediately downloaded it and converted to MP3.   So for those who have not seen it, once again, here is Joey Ayala's version of Lupang Hinirang. And I agree, you would never want to sing it in another way. (But that's just me. :D) This rendition is simply beautiful. Truly Filipino. :) Of course that doesn't mean we need to revise our national anthem but maybe we can consider about correcting the way we sing it (read: proper pronunciation). Read more about the Philippine National Anthem here .

Jesus Week 2015: A Time To HEAL ♥

I had the best, most meaningful HOLY WEEK ever, so far (the best is yet to come!). :) Thanks to Joy who shared the Jesus Week poster on Facebook. It was God's personal invitation, and I couldn't thank Him enough for the grace that He also gave me to respond. Everything is grace. It was not just my personal decision to join. It was God's grace that allowed me to.  So how did it go? Well, as what I have told my friends, it was amazingly beautiful! The experience was priceless! On Holy Monday, I posted Fr. Jerry Orbos' acronym for HOLY WEEK . I experienced all of that and more! :)  I won't be able to share everything as there is just a lot of personal, intimate encounters with the Lord. But if I were to summarize, it was a time for me to HEAL. :)  H alt . Indeed, I was able to stop and just rest in the Lord. Before leaving Manila, I have already told myself that this retreat will be all about Jesus ( Jesus Week nga e :D ). No emails, no texts, no calls. I

Thank You, Lord! :)

It has been a long and stressful day (the past three days have been lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and stressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssful), but You are just so amazing, Lord that I couldn't sleep without telling You how grateful I am. :) Thank You, Lord for the miracle that You did yesterday. Break even and more. :) Thank You, Lord for the laughter and stories shared during the post-mission meeting with Team Thailand. :) Team Thailand - Princesses from SFC Metro Manila :) Thank You, Lord for Lawrence. He is just the (almost) perfect man. He has his flaws, but they are acceptable; he makes mistakes, but they are all forgivable. There are a lot of men but there can never be anyone else. He's really the one. And You know it very well. :) ♥ Nemo. Love. ♥ Thank You, Lord for giving me strength and endurance each day. :) Thank You, Lord for the short but restful sleeps. :) Thank You, Lord for every waking moment and every opportunity that You give

The Holy Spirit*

*Cluster 4 Household Topic Reflections from John 15:26-16:4 True friendship is strengthened in adversity. Jesus offers His disciples the best and truest of friends. Who is this promised friend?  Jesus calls the Holy Spirit our Counselor and Advocate (also translated Paraclete or Helper). Counselor is a legal term for the one who will defend someone against an adversary and who guides that person during the ordeal of trial. The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Helper who brings us safely through the challenges and adversities we must face in this life. As Jesus approaches the hour that He was to be glorified - through His death on the cross and His resurrection - He revealed more fully to His disciples the person and the role of the Holy Spirit. What does Jesus tell us about the Holy Spirit?  First, the Holy Spirit is inseparably one with the Father and the Son. It is the Holy Spirit who gives life - the very life of God - and who kindles faith in hearts receptive

Interesting Facts Courtesy of Celebrity Bluff :)

I was writing a different post, but Celebrity Bluff  is just so fun and informative, I had to stop from blogging to list down the fun facts that I learn from each round. :)  Thought it would be nice to share them here as well. For future reference. :D  Q: In 2012, what kind of animal was named after Beyonce? A: Horse Fly Q: What rare job in China will pay you US$50,000 a year?  A: Fart Smeller Q: What alcoholic drink literally means "water of life"? A: Whisky   Q: In which part of the body can you find the tragus? A: Ear Q: According to Merriam-Webster, what is the female equivalent of dude? A: Dudine Q: What is longer in the male turtles than in the females?  A: Nails And the final question is... Q:  According to Box Office Mojo   what are the top four (4) movies of 2013 according to global profit? A: (1) Iron Man 3, (2) Despicable Me 2, (3) Fast and the Furious 6 (4) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire That's all